Wednesday, March 4, 2015

One Word, Five Voices: Poor

What would you say your definition of "poor" is? Living in a shack with dirt floors and no food in your belly?

I'd say that was probably my only definition of poor as well until I started serving people who live in those conditions. That definition of poor is the only definition most Americans have. After all, the American dream looks more like a two-income household, 2.5 kids and a home in the suburbs with a white picket fence. If you have all that, you couldn't possibly be poor, right?

What I've realized over the last several years is that being poor isn't just about money. That kind of poverty exists, yes, and is something that shouldn't be ignored, but the poverty I'm talking about has more to do with the heart. Some of the "poorest" people I've met by American standards are some of the richest I've ever known when it comes to love, family, friendship, and faith.

Oftentimes, money gets in the way of the most important riches of life, and I am no exception to this. Serving people who have little money, but are rich in love is a great way to remind myself of what really matters in life, and where my riches truly are.


_________________________________________________________________________________

 Check out what my friends think of today's word on their blogs: ShawnHeatherSteph and Brian.

2 comments:

practicingresurrectionlife.com said...

So well said! "Oftentimes, money gets in the way of the most important riches of life, and I am no exception to this."

Anonymous said...

So a funny thing happened on my way to help the orphans...they helped me. Love you friend and love that you and yours have been part of my opening to a new way of understanding the poor and God's love.