Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Letter to My Child(ren)

Gavin,
You are constantly surpassing expectations for me, kiddo.  Santa brought you some big boy undies for Christmas and you've yet to have an accident.  Though I know I've just completely jinxed myself with that statement, I'm so very proud of you.  You seem to be ready for the next step even before I am these days.

Speaking of Christmas, we had so much fun decorating with you this year.  Every ornament you pulled out of the box illicited a "Wow!  Look at this one!" response from you.  Even Daddy (who is generally a Scrooge when it comes to the tree) got into it this year because of your excitement.

You are still completely goofy, and I absolutely love that about you.  Just the other day, you insisted I read Dr. Seuss with a stuffed frog on my head.  I have to say, I didn't think Seuss could get sillier, but once again, you proved me wrong.

You appear to be listening to us, and even parroting back some of our behavior now.  We give you lots of choices to prevent meltdowns because you feel empowered when you get to choose, even if we've given you only two things to pick from.  Now you give us choices all the time, too.  Here's a conversation from our car ride to daycare the other day:
You, holding up two matchbox cars: "Mommy, do you want the lellow car or blue car?"
Me: "Um, I like the blue one."
You: "Okay. You want it be quiet or loud?"
Me: "Quiet."
You, whispering: "Quiet--okay."

2011 has been a big year for you and 2012 promises to be even bigger with a new brother coming.  You're going to make such a good big brother.

I love you more,
Mommy


Baby Doc,
You are quite the kicker, kid.  I feel you all the time.  And BIG kicks, too.  Kicks strong enough to knock something off my belly if I was to balance something there.  Not like I do that or anything (wink, wink). I've been sleeping with my belly in Daddy's back every night and you've kept him awake a few nights with your kicks.  He still doesn't understand how I sleep through it.

I've also been having lots of Braxton Hicks contractions lately, but if I drink plenty of water, they go away so nothing to be worried about.  We've still got three-ish months until we meet you and somehow that seems so far and yet so close.

I've been getting so curious about what you'll look like, what your personality will be like, etc.  Will you be blonde-haired and blue-eyed like your big brother, or will you be dark-haired and dark-eyed like Daddy?  Will you be goofy like Gavin and me or will you be more serious like Daddy?

Whatever you're going to be like, 2012 is going to start out with such a blessing in our household.  I can't wait to meet you.

I love you more already!
Mommy

No comments: