Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Letter to My Child(ren)

Gavin,
You are our constant source of comic relief, buddy.  You chatter constantly about everything under the sun.  It's like a stream of consciousness flowing from your mouth and you can barely keep up with it.  Sometimes it's singing, sometimes it's just talking, but most of the time it's pure silliness.  I love that you're such a goofball, because now we both make Daddy shake his head at us.  :)  Lately, if one of us does something you think is silly, you shake your head at us and say, "Ohhhh, Mommy" or "Ohhhh, Daddy."  It's like you're already embarrassed by us.  Apparently, we're doing our duty as parents.

You're also obsessed with containers right now.  You put toys, necklaces, underwear right out of the dryer, etc. into one container only to promptly dump it into another container.  This goes on for quite a while usually.  You could keep yourself occupied for hours.

You've also been concerned with getting lost lately.  A few months ago, a little girl went missing in Kansas City and her picture was all over the news and the billboards we passed every day on the way to daycare.  When you asked, "Who that baby?"  I told you she was lost and the police were going to bring her back to her parents.  Since then, every time we see a police car or a fire truck, you say, "If I get lost, policemens and firemens bring me back to Mommy and Daddy."  I guess it's good for you to learn who to go to for help, but I don't want you to become overly worried about it.  I worry enough for the whole family.

More and more, you insist on doing things all by yourself, including going to the bathroom (which you're a pro at now, by the way!), putting on your socks and shoes, putting on your gloves and coat, etc.  We constantly hear, "No!  I do it!" and we're trying hard to let you try all those things yourself.  Even when your socks end up backwards and inside out.  The look of pride on your face is so worth it.

You're going to be three this weekend and I can't believe how fast the time has gone.  My baby is so grown up now, and I can't tell you how proud that makes me.

I love you more,
Mommy



Baby Doc,
It's not much longer until we meet you now!  27 days or less, actually.  That has me partly panicked, but mostly ecstatic.  There's still so much on my to-do list that it feels a little overwhelming right now, but I know it will get done, and even if it doesn't, the clothes washing and painting can come later.

My blood pressure was up at my last doctor's appointment, which also has me a bit worried.  I'm really hoping I don't become pre-eclamptic like I did when I was pregnant with Gavin.  There's not much I can do differently besides rest more, though, and Daddy is great about making me do that in the evenings.

Speaking of the evenings, you move so much at night.  It's become a source of entertainment for your Daddy and me.  Last week, we'd put Gavin to bed and were watching TV when you pushed so hard against me that my entire belly was lopsided.  It was like you were fighting for more room and then finally gave up and my belly went back to it's normal roundedness.

With 27 days to go, I can't imagine getting any bigger than I already am.  Pregnancy is getting consistently uncomfortable now, which is making me cross my fingers that you'll decide to come a little earlier than 27 days from now.  That, and the fact that I just can't wait to see your face, count your fingers and toes, and just breathe you in.  I'm so ready for that.  It makes 27 days sound like an eternity.

I love you more,
Mommy

No comments: