Friday, November 30, 2012

A Letter to My Boys

Gavin,
Oh, how I love you, kid. I know I say it every month, but you're just getting SO big. Every time I look at you, you seem taller, and every time you speak I hear new words or phrases I didn't know you knew, or that you hadn't been able to say properly before. You're braver, smarter, funnier and more independent every day.

You seem so grown up to me now that I sometimes forget about your sensitive nature. We started Elf on the Shelf this year (Spoiler: Mommy & Daddy move the elf every night), and the first night, "Fred Tootie Elfvans" (as you've named him) tore up a couple of your kleenexes and sat in the kleenex box in your room.  Your face dropped when you saw him and you said, "Why would he do that? Why is he mean to me?" It didn't even occur to me that you would have thought it was unkind instead of ornery, but I should have known.  It's a good lesson for me to constantly be aware to be sensitive with your sensitivity. You're more like your daddy that way and I need to remember that.
You stayed the night at Nana & Grandpa's house for the first time this month on a whim. We'd been over for a dinner and you were having fun and didn't want to leave. You asked if you could stay and they were more than happy to oblige. You had a good time, but woke up pretty early "missing Mommy." I think some snuggles from Grandpa made it all better.

We put the Christmas decorations up right after Thanksgiving and you're so excited already with the tree, and decorations, and the lights that I can't wait to spend the rest of this season with you. You studied every ornament as we put it up and wanted to help with everything. It makes Christmas that much more magical--thank you for that.

I love you more,
Mommy



Bennett,
This has been a busy month for you, kiddo! I should have known as soon as I posted that last letter about you almost crawling, you'd be off at lightning speed. It wasn't two days later that you discovered how to move those chunky legs forward instead of backward, and since then, it's been a blur.  As soon as you could crawl toward our ottoman you started pulling up, and as soon as you got steady pulling up, you started cruising. I keep telling you to slow down, but all I get in response is an adorable two-toothed grin before you tear off in the direction of some dangerous object. (P.S. Mommy forgot how utterly terrifying this age is. Stop trying to kill yourself!)
You are in to everything now. Everything! If there's anything you shouldn't have laying on the floor or otherwise within your reach, that's the first object you power toward, glancing in our direction to see if we're watching. And if we are, you move that much faster. I think we may be in for some orneriness with you, sir.

And now that you can move freely on your own, you also LOUDLY let us know how much you hate it when we stop you from gouging your eyes out with one of your brother's pointy toys, or choking yourself on a small bouncy ball. As soon as we take the coveted possession away, you throw a little tantrum worthy of a toddler. Sorry kid, but we love you too much to let you harm yourself. We're trying to get better about making sure Gavin picks up his smaller toys, but it's near impossible. Fortunately, your generally happy nature helps you get over it quickly and you're still easily distracted by something else new and shiny.

You're also moving at lightning speed in the food department, too.  You're eating two meals a day now--oatmeal in the morning and fruits/veggies in the evening. We haven't found anything you don't like yet. Your list of foods now includes: carrots, apples, cauliflower, parsnips, avocado, pears, green beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and banana.
"Yay for food! I gotta keep up these chubs somehow."
This month, you also went on your very first plane ride. Multiple plane rides, actually. Two on the way to Texas to visit your Great-Grandma Green and two on the way back. You were a traveling pro, and elicited multiple comments from strangers about what a good air traveler you were. I've been telling everyone that since you went to Russia in utero last year, it must have set you up to be an excellent traveler. We need to take more advantage of it while you're still free to fly!
Looking out the window with Grandpa Green on our way home.
Last night, we finally moved you into your own room. After leaky window and stucco replacement, re-doing insulation, drywall and carpet, (and maybe a bit of the Momma's-not-ready type of anxiety), your room was finally done and we were all ready for the move. You did great, and I'm hoping we'll all get some better sleep now.

Slow down a little next month, okay?

I love you more,
Momma


No comments: