Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Last week, I got to introduce Bennett to his Great-Grandma Green.
My Grandma and Grandpa Green moved to Texas when I was in junior high, and they came back to Kansas City frequently, so I never visited them in their Texas home. When my Grandpa passed away almost three years ago, I remember wishing I would have visited earlier to see them together, in the place they called home for so many years. Silly things kept me from visiting--school and sports commitments when I was younger morphed into work and money excuses as I got older. Before I knew it, I'd started my own family and traveling seemed like more work than it was worth.

But when my dad mentioned he planned to make the trip this fall, I decided to ignore all those excuses and crash his visit...with baby in tow.

I am so glad I did.

It was a fantastic long weekend, full of old memories, popsicles and leisurely walks. It forced me to slow down for a few days and remember that the little things matter. I got to take a nap, and reminisce about eating caramel popcorn and learning to sew as a kid. I got to see how much it meant to my Grandma, and my Dad, that I'd given Bennett the middle name "Green." I got to feel my Grandpa's presence everywhere, and say goodbye to him in a way I hadn't yet done.

I also got a four-generation picture with my baby, who's named after this side of his family.
Four Generations of Greens
My only regret is that Gavin couldn't be there, too. I guess a four-generation picture with both of my boys will have to wait until the next visit. Until then, the individuals will do just fine.
Four generations picture when my Grandma last visited in the Summer of 2010, a few months after Gavin turned one.

No comments: