Saturday, March 2, 2013

Lenten Challenge, Day 18: Leave

I've been to Russia twice now, which means I've had to leave Russia twice now. Not just leave Russia, but leave an orphanage full of faces pleading for me not to go.

It really is amazing what happens on one of those trips. I've only spent a total of 12 days with these kids, but I love them like they're my own. I care about their hopes and their dreams. I want them to succeed. I want them to feel wanted. And cherished. And important. I want them to feel the love my own kids get to feel every single day.

What's ironic is that's the easy part. Falling in love with them in such a short time and knowing they feel how hard you've fallen. That's cake. The hard part is leaving. The hard part is knowing those kids won't get this kind of love for another year...at least.

That's not just the hard part, that's the devastating part.

But this kind of love? It's so worth it.

No comments: