Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lenten Challenge, Day 26: Ate

I once ate a pork sandwich that looked exactly like a cuban cigar, down to the edible label, and the ashtray it was served in.
Not long after Gavin turned one, my mom and I took a weekend trip to Chicago and ate at the fabulous Moto Restaurant, where everything we ate was an oddity of some kind. Besides the cigar, we ate our menus (I promise...they were edible), a vegetarian dish that looked like sushi, and a dessert that looked like mud. It was an experience like none either of us had ever had, or will likely have again. And it was awesome.

But the best part wasn't the strangely delicious food. It was the experience itself. And that we got to experience it together.

But isn't that what it's all about, anyway? Think of the last time you had a girl's night out, or went to dinner on a date with your spouse. Even if the food was the most delicious thing you'd ever tasted, the memories from that experience aren't really about the food are they? They're about the people, and the conversation, and the relationships that form around the table.

A great friend once got me the print below (you can buy it at this Web site), and I love it, because it sums up what's supposed to happen around a table together.
When we share a meal together, it builds community, it builds relationships, it builds love. And that, my friends, is what life is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Cannot believe I JUST read this! I completely agree...duh! Cannot wait to share a meal on Thursday!