Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lenten Challenge, Day 24: Find

You know what I've found? Sometimes the best things in life are the ones that "find" us. When we're so busy searching for perfection, we sometimes miss out on the moments and things and people who are right in front of us.

So often, I get so busy making plans, mapping everything out, making sure everything is scheduled, that I forget to make sure I'm actually living the life I'm planning for. And who says you can map out the perfect life, anyway? Well, you can, I guess, but it sure as hell isn't likely to work out that way.

It's taken me a long time to let go of some of that control and just let life happen to me. And by "let go," I mean, "only holding by a thread," instead of clutching with a death grip. I think it's been my boys who have helped me do that the most. Because every parent knows that with children, things rarely go as planned.

You take them for a family photo shoot, and one is a little fussy. I may not get the smiling shot I planned for, but there are sure to be some great candids of me loving on them. It takes two hours to get home from work because of a snowstorm? I may not have time to make that new recipe I'd planned on trying, but the ease of a frozen pizza gives me more play time with the boys before bed.

May you let life happen to you today, so those little moments can find you. Because those little moments? They're the big ones.


No comments: