Monday, March 11, 2013

Lenten Challenge, Day 27: Happy

"If you find a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life." My dad said that to me a lot growing up, as did a number of wise parents, I'm sure. Because work doesn't feel like "work" when you love what you do, right?
Fast forward several years, and I have this sign sitting in my cube at work. It's a constant reminder to me that even on shitty days, I can choose to love my job. I can choose to be happy with what I have. Because what I have is pretty damn awesome!

That's just the thing about happiness. When we wake up every morning, we make a choice whether to be happy or not. When we focus on the negative, or dwell in a glass-half-empty attitude, we're choosing to be unhappy. We're missing out on the good.

I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna in this post, because I know life can be just plain awful sometimes, and the last thing anyone needs is someone telling them to "look on the bright side." Because sometimes the bright side is so dim it's almost non-existent. I know that. I'm guilty of that.

But I do believe there is good in everything. We may not always be able to see it or understand it, but it's there. Some days, we have to look for it a little harder (or a lot harder) than others.

And you know what? On the days I choose happiness, happiness finds me. So today...I choose happy.

1 comment:

Stephanie Mutert said...

I love all of the posts of 'happy'!