Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Lenten Challenge, Day 42: Light

I love the old folksong, "This Little Light of Mine." Partly because of its gospel-like nature, but mostly because I love the message. Don't shout through a bullhorn, but live in a way that makes others wonder what's different about you. Okay...maybe that's just my take on the song.
A quick Wikipedia search claims the song was based on three verses in the bible, one of which is Matthew 5:16.
Let your light shine before others, that they may see your fine works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
I don't see the word "bullhorn" in there, but that's pretty much the same thing I said, right? I'm not always that great at it because NEWSFLASH: I'm not perfect. Nobody is. But I do know that shouting at people through a bullhorn isn't going to make them feel loved. It's just going to make them run the other way because...weirdo.

Love is active. Something we do, something we share. Love is what makes that light inside us shine the brightest. When we love, we're doing what we're made to do. So step away from the bullhorn and let your light shine instead.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I was singing this song in my head and now I am singing it out loud. Mike is just shaking his head. I guess not all people appreciate my shining light! So now...I sing louder! Ha! ;)Thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

As someone who tends to be a bit bullhornish, I appreciate your reminder it's the way we live that speaks louder than whatever we shout. Shine on, sister!

Anonymous said...

A no bullhorn zone...unless we are calling out the bullhorn screamers and need some vocal power, right? :)