Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lenten Challenge, Day 22: Shadow

I just recently re-watched the old school  Disney classic, Peter Pan, with Gavin and laughed right along with him when Peter loses his shadow because, as Gavin would say, "That's silly. You can't lose your shadow."

It's true, isn't it? Shadows are these distorted versions of our past that linger behind us. A shadow is always there, and there isn't a thing you can do to get rid of it. Just like the things we've done, or said, or thought in the past. They happened. They're over. There's nothing we can do to change them.

Geez...I didn't start out this post that depressing, did I?

That's just it, though. Dwelling on situations I might have handled differently in the past, or disparate words I could have spoken in an argument doesn't help any situation. It just makes it more depressing. It doesn't change the past. It just makes me feel inadequate. And it certainly doesn't make for a successful future. It prevents me from living in the moment.

It's only when we can put those shadows of our past behind us that we can truly make a change in the future.




No comments: